Skip to main content

You Are Going to Die



         


       I know, it’s a morbid topic, but it is absolutely true.  We will all die.  If you think about it, even if we live to be 117 years old (the age I will be if I get to see the year 2100) it’s just the blink of an eye in the grand scheme.  
Ever since my grandfather passed away last summer, my own mortality has been weighing on me.  The thought that in ten years, I will be 45; the last ten years have flown by.  I could realistically be a grandpa.  I fall into the trap of what I haven’t gotten accomplished.  My professional life is just barely starting, my colleagues are mid- to late-twenties when they start.  I haven’t traveled to enrich myself.  I could go on…





Realistically, it’s not a bad thing to finally face and accept one’s own mortality.  Thinking of how you want to spend the next 70 years.  What you want to leave behind, in terms of your loved ones memories.  How full a life you want to live, and what that means for you.  Some people want to create.  They will feel fulfilled if they have painted, or written or built xyz.  Some want to travel, others want to learn or fill their days with the love of their children.  There is no right or wrong to this, but we need to think of how we want to live our lives and potentially our legacy. 
I do truly believe that no matter how we want to fill our lives, growth is important.  That could very realistically mean growing your children’s memories of us.  It could mean reading about something new, or traveling somewhere new and engrossing ourselves into the culture.  It could mean growing spiritually, seeking out one’s higher power and striving to live according to that. 
There is a Chinese proverb that states: “The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago; the second best time is now.”  If you feel like you’ve missed the boat on what you want to leave behind, you haven’t.  Start taking those piano lessons, better yet: take piano lessons with your child.  Twenty years from now, you will both be far better pianists than you are now and you child will have the magical memory of sharing that experience with you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Chiropractic Story                 It’s interesting, looking back, to note how much chiropractic was in my life before I realized it.   When I was younger, my sister and I would stand on each other’s backs.   Sometimes our upper backs would “crack”.   Since a young age, I would feel like pressure in my upper back would be relieved by having my back pushed on.   My first official taste of chiropractic was during football with low back spasms, which I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts.   When I was being seen by the chiropractor, he told me my left leg was an inch shorter than the other.   He gave me exercises to perform and told gave me a certain frequency that he recommended I see him to get this fixed.   I went one other time and did the exercises and stretches as prescribed and refrained from participating in football the whole duration he recommended.   I only went one time though.                   I was young and foolish.   In hindsight, I wish I’d have gone at least

You aren't being chased by a tiger all day... stop acting like it

                Mental stress is something we all deal with.   While there are positive and negative scenarios surrounding the source of the stress, our bodies react the same way regardless.   Being chased by a tiger has the same physiological reaction as the first day of your dream job.   Our physiological reaction is a good thing, in fact.   Both from an adaptation perspective and from a biological perspective.   The problem is that we aren’t designed to be chased by a tiger from the moment we wake up to the moment we finally fall asleep.                 “What can be done though?” the reader thought aloud with rapt attention.                 I get it.   There are some stresses that are unavoidable, but there are ways to minimize the effects they have on us.   If you are required to commute, you can see if public transportation would be a good fit.   The train or bus will likely take longer than driving yourself, but you can read,or catch a nap, or text or go on social media or

Pain and mental health

                One of the symptoms of depression is vague aches and pains.   One of the complications to chronic pain is depression.   For many it can be similar to the question regarding the chicken or the egg.   Did significant trauma at a young age (even unremembered) cause the brain to grow weary of constant pain, resulting in depressive and anxious symptoms?   Or did depression which came on in adolescence develop into physical symptoms that have grown into more severe and frequent complaints?                 Does the question even matter?   Do we really care if the person has been suffering from pain and is depressed from it, versus if the person has been depressed and is suffering from pain because of it?   There are many who would argue that it doesn’t matter.   We can be given psychotropic drugs for the depressive symptoms, and ibuprofen (or stronger) for the pain.                   How about this:   how many people have you met who’s lives have been significantly i