Skip to main content

The Case for “Dad-Bod” (by someone who over-shot it)
*Written 1/2/2017

                There is some controversy surrounding the term “Dad-bod” and I think it is well-founded.  Many people hear that term and they envision this guy who has given up on themselves.  They imagine a dude right around 40 with a beer belly, sitting in his recliner.  My vision of dad bod is different.  I see a dude that no longer has 6-pack abs, is ten to twenty pounds overweight and doesn’t have time to maintain what society tells us the ideal male physique should look like. 
                On that subject, more than 10 million males will deal with an eating disorder in their lifetime, according to National Eating Disorder Association.  Our societal ideals are hurting our youth.  Both males and females are trying to live up to a standard that is unattainable for 98% of us. 
                Instead of focusing on what we look like, we need to focus on our overall health.  I know that our physical appearance does give a good idea of someone’s overall health, but it doesn’t paint the whole picture.  Will Farrell is a great example of this.  Looking at him, you see that he doesn’t have a six pack, you can see adipose on his midsection and he has love handles, but has run marathons.  Someone who can run a marathon is in pretty decent physical shape.  
                A study done in 2013 by Flegal et al agrees with this.  The study showed that while a BMI that falls in the obesity range corresponded with higher mortality, being overweight showed less overall mortality than falling into the normal weight range.  If a person is physically active and has some vanity pounds, they are healthier overall than someone who is technically in the healthy weight range that doesn’t get the necessary exercise. 
                While we should all strive to be as healthy as we can be, both men and women need to recognize that 6-pack abs are not the only indicator of health.  I feel comfortable writing this, as I have decidedly over-shot the dad bod.  I am currently at a health level I am dissatisfied with.  I currently aspire to “dad bod”
               
https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/research-males-and-eating-disorders
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1555137
               


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Chiropractic Story                 It’s interesting, looking back, to note how much chiropractic was in my life before I realized it.   When I was younger, my sister and I would stand on each other’s backs.   Sometimes our upper backs would “crack”.   Since a young age, I would feel like pressure in my upper back would be relieved by having my back pushed on.   My first official taste of chiropractic was during football with low back spasms, which I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts.   When I was being seen by the chiropractor, he told me my left leg was an inch shorter than the other.   He gave me exercises to perform and told gave me a certain frequency that he recommended I see him to get this fixed.   I went one other time and did the exercises and stretches as prescribed and refrained from participating in football the whole duration he recommended.   I only went one time though.                   I was young and foolish.   In hindsight, I wish I’d have gone at least

Pain and mental health

                One of the symptoms of depression is vague aches and pains.   One of the complications to chronic pain is depression.   For many it can be similar to the question regarding the chicken or the egg.   Did significant trauma at a young age (even unremembered) cause the brain to grow weary of constant pain, resulting in depressive and anxious symptoms?   Or did depression which came on in adolescence develop into physical symptoms that have grown into more severe and frequent complaints?                 Does the question even matter?   Do we really care if the person has been suffering from pain and is depressed from it, versus if the person has been depressed and is suffering from pain because of it?   There are many who would argue that it doesn’t matter.   We can be given psychotropic drugs for the depressive symptoms, and ibuprofen (or stronger) for the pain.                   How about this:   how many people have you met who’s lives have been significantly i

You aren't being chased by a tiger all day... stop acting like it

                Mental stress is something we all deal with.   While there are positive and negative scenarios surrounding the source of the stress, our bodies react the same way regardless.   Being chased by a tiger has the same physiological reaction as the first day of your dream job.   Our physiological reaction is a good thing, in fact.   Both from an adaptation perspective and from a biological perspective.   The problem is that we aren’t designed to be chased by a tiger from the moment we wake up to the moment we finally fall asleep.                 “What can be done though?” the reader thought aloud with rapt attention.                 I get it.   There are some stresses that are unavoidable, but there are ways to minimize the effects they have on us.   If you are required to commute, you can see if public transportation would be a good fit.   The train or bus will likely take longer than driving yourself, but you can read,or catch a nap, or text or go on social media or