Skip to main content

My Break-through with Meditation




*Note:  This was written in April of 2017.  I will post the update to this next week.

I have been contributing to this non-existent blog, knowing that in due time I will actually need content for a blog.  I have been trying to meditate for about 3 months now and I have found some struggles with it.  I know I need to take a class and will do so likely before I actually publish this entry, but as it is I am self-guided in my meditative journey. 
Three months ago I had read that just 5 minutes to start will be a good beginning.  For the next week, I decided I was going to practice meditation (or what I understood as meditation) at 5 minutes a time each morning.  I did it and it seemed fine, but it was hard to quiet my mind and I stopped for about a week. 
I hadn’t given up, however.  I was listening to a podcast and the guest explained that some find 5 minutes to be too much at first and that you can literally start with 3 breath cycles.  So the next morning I opted for 5 breathing cycles to start my day and that was easy.  After that I decided I was going to compromise and shoot for 3 minutes.  And that’s where I am this morning as well. 
Over the course of the last 3 months or so, I have been doing C work on taking the time to meditate, but I have tried to stick with it, knowing that eventually this borderline-sporadic practice will become more regular.  While I have been ok at remembering to meditate, my meditations have also been hit and miss.  I find thoughts drifting throughout the entire 3 minutes only to feel slightly disappointed after the exercise. 
This morning was different however.  I don’t know what I did differently, but I felt incredibly successful afterward.  I envisioned a woman telling me to concentrate on her voice (don’t ask me).  It seemed as though I was imagining my own meditative coach who kept guiding me to focus on my breathing and only hear her voice.  It’s yet to be seen whether this will catch on for me, but it was by far my most satisfying attempt at meditation to date. 
My goal is to, in time, actually join a meditation class a few times and I will ask whether that was successful or not, but for the moment, I will chalk it up to progress.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You aren't being chased by a tiger all day... stop acting like it

                Mental stress is something we all deal with.   While there are positive and negative scenarios surrounding the source of the stress, our bodies react the same way regardless.   Being chased by a tiger has the same physiological reaction as the first day of your dream job.   Our physiological reaction is a good thing, in fact.   Both from an adaptation perspective and from a biological perspective.   The problem is that we aren’t designed to be chased by a tiger from the moment we wake up to the moment we finally fall asleep.                 “What can be done though?” the reader thought aloud with rapt attention.                 I get it.   There are some stresses that are unavoidable, but there are ways to minimize the effects they have on us.   If you are required to commute, you can see if public transportation would be a good fit.   The train or bus will likely take longer than driving yourself, but you can read,or catch a nap, or text or go on social media or
My Chiropractic Story                 It’s interesting, looking back, to note how much chiropractic was in my life before I realized it.   When I was younger, my sister and I would stand on each other’s backs.   Sometimes our upper backs would “crack”.   Since a young age, I would feel like pressure in my upper back would be relieved by having my back pushed on.   My first official taste of chiropractic was during football with low back spasms, which I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts.   When I was being seen by the chiropractor, he told me my left leg was an inch shorter than the other.   He gave me exercises to perform and told gave me a certain frequency that he recommended I see him to get this fixed.   I went one other time and did the exercises and stretches as prescribed and refrained from participating in football the whole duration he recommended.   I only went one time though.                   I was young and foolish.   In hindsight, I wish I’d have gone at least

Pain and mental health

                One of the symptoms of depression is vague aches and pains.   One of the complications to chronic pain is depression.   For many it can be similar to the question regarding the chicken or the egg.   Did significant trauma at a young age (even unremembered) cause the brain to grow weary of constant pain, resulting in depressive and anxious symptoms?   Or did depression which came on in adolescence develop into physical symptoms that have grown into more severe and frequent complaints?                 Does the question even matter?   Do we really care if the person has been suffering from pain and is depressed from it, versus if the person has been depressed and is suffering from pain because of it?   There are many who would argue that it doesn’t matter.   We can be given psychotropic drugs for the depressive symptoms, and ibuprofen (or stronger) for the pain.                   How about this:   how many people have you met who’s lives have been significantly i