Skip to main content

A real breakthrough with meditation

                Last week I posted an article that I had written in April of last year.  In it, I explained how my new journey in meditation was going and described what I thought of as a breakthrough.  In it, I explained that I had started with only a few breathing cycles and was building up duration and was up to 3 minutes.  I was really proud of myself, and I had every right to be.  Now, almost a year later, still working on improving my meditation I had what I can sincerely describe as a true breakthrough.
                I am currently up to 12 minutes almost every morning.  If I am unable to meditate before my girls are up and my opportunity for focus has evaporated, I take the time to meditate at the office.  I sit on my adjusting table and do the same thing I’d do at home.  I sit on the floor at home, I cross my legs and I touch my thumb and index finger (not sure why, but all the movies portray it as such, so I do the same). 
                I had previously tried focusing on my breath and I was getting frustrated how much my mind would wander.  Then I made an imaginary guide who told me to focus on her voice.  More recently I have been focusing on my breath and my chakras at the same time, in a new-agey attempt at growing as a person.  The chakra strategy has been very effective for keeping my mind from wandering, but it still wanders. 
                Like I said, I was getting frustrated at my loss of concentration and feeling as though I was failing.  That is until I started on my “26 books read in 2018” (I just finished book 5 as I write this).  Many of the books on my reading list are personal growth books.  And 2 different authors have not provided me with the best breakthrough yet.  YOUR MIND WILL ALWAYS WANDER!  I hadn’t realized this.  The trick is to NOT get frustrated, but instead come back to your mantra.  The mantra is what you are using to focus on the present; some use the word “Om” from Hinduism.  Some focus on their breathing.  Some focus on their breathing.  Others still focus on a power statement.  While, I am actually rather fond of visualizing drawing energy into my chakras (don’t know if that’s ok…. don’t really care… I acknowledge it’s kind of weird, and I’m ok with that). 
                To tie both articles together, many of the most successful people in the world meditate.  Taking the time to focus on the present and allow the past and future to stay away for a short time helps with anxiety, depression, and allows us to practice being present, which only stands to strengthen our relationships with others.  You don’t have to start at 20 minutes, I recommend three to start.  The duration is less important than the habit of doing it.  And remember, you mind will wander, and that’s ok.  The key to meditation is catching yourself leaving the present and gently refocusing and forgiving yourself.  I sincerely hope you will give it a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You aren't being chased by a tiger all day... stop acting like it

                Mental stress is something we all deal with.   While there are positive and negative scenarios surrounding the source of the stress, our bodies react the same way regardless.   Being chased by a tiger has the same physiological reaction as the first day of your dream job.   Our physiological reaction is a good thing, in fact.   Both from an adaptation perspective and from a biological perspective.   The problem is that we aren’t designed to be chased by a tiger from the moment we wake up to the moment we finally fall asleep.                 “What can be done though?” the reader thought aloud with rapt attention.                 I get it.   There are some stresses that are unavoidable, but there are ways to minimize the effects they have on us.   If you are required to commute, you can see if public transportation would be a good fit.   The train or bus will likely take longer than driving yourself, but you can read,or catch a nap, or text or go on social media or

Pain and mental health

                One of the symptoms of depression is vague aches and pains.   One of the complications to chronic pain is depression.   For many it can be similar to the question regarding the chicken or the egg.   Did significant trauma at a young age (even unremembered) cause the brain to grow weary of constant pain, resulting in depressive and anxious symptoms?   Or did depression which came on in adolescence develop into physical symptoms that have grown into more severe and frequent complaints?                 Does the question even matter?   Do we really care if the person has been suffering from pain and is depressed from it, versus if the person has been depressed and is suffering from pain because of it?   There are many who would argue that it doesn’t matter.   We can be given psychotropic drugs for the depressive symptoms, and ibuprofen (or stronger) for the pain.                   How about this:   how many people have you met who’s lives have been significantly i
My Chiropractic Story                 It’s interesting, looking back, to note how much chiropractic was in my life before I realized it.   When I was younger, my sister and I would stand on each other’s backs.   Sometimes our upper backs would “crack”.   Since a young age, I would feel like pressure in my upper back would be relieved by having my back pushed on.   My first official taste of chiropractic was during football with low back spasms, which I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts.   When I was being seen by the chiropractor, he told me my left leg was an inch shorter than the other.   He gave me exercises to perform and told gave me a certain frequency that he recommended I see him to get this fixed.   I went one other time and did the exercises and stretches as prescribed and refrained from participating in football the whole duration he recommended.   I only went one time though.                   I was young and foolish.   In hindsight, I wish I’d have gone at least